Monday, April 27, 2009

The Perfect Snack

I love to snack, especially when reading or writing. Usually they're M&Ms, or some other snack of the chocolate variety--but a few weeks ago, I accidentally made these really, really good oatmeal cookies. People loved me, or hated me ("Are you trying to make me fat?") for sharing them. But I thought I should give out the recipe, 'cause these cookies really rock.

Rockin' Oatmeal Cookies (this recipe makes about 3 dozen cookies)
  1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
  2. Mix 2 sticks of soft butter with 1 cup of regular sugar, and 1 cup of brown sugar
  3. Add 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract and 2 eggs (use a mixer, if you have one, or a fork)
  4. Slowly mix in 2 teaspoons of cinnamon, and 2 1/2 cups of self-rising flour (if you don't live at high altitude, make that 2 cups)
  5. Taste the dough. It's really good.
  6. Finally, add 3 cups of old-school oatmeal, and 2 cups of raisins. You can add nuts too, if you're into that--me, not so much.
  7. Bake for 16 minutes on a waxpaper-lined cookie sheet. While you wait, you can practice how you'll respond to all the praise you'll get ("It was nothing, really." Or: "I just whipped these up." Or, "Really, I should be a chef?")
  8. Eat cookies. Share if you must.

No comments:

Post a Comment

April 2022 News (or: on reading slumps and lots of editing...)

  April snuck up on me like a thief in the night! I’ve been so busy writing, editing, and coming up with ideas for  Daybreak on Raven Island...