Monday, April 4, 2011

Monday Music: Price Tag (Or Pic Vs. Reality)

I first heard this song on the radio, and I pictured the female singer... Differently. She looks great, don't get me wrong, but I thought it was the same woman who sings the Pretty Girl Rock. I'm not always with it as much as I'd like.

It got me thinking about those superduper author photos--my writer pals know what I'm talking about. The ones that look like they were taken in the nineties, or with five filters to make the person look better, or at one of those glamor photo salons. It may make the author feel good (look! I look awesome!), but when you meet the person at a conference or a signing, they look...

Different.

Why do this to yourself? Why point out that you've gained thirty pounds, don't actually wear that much make-up, or aged twenty years (or more--I've seen author photos from the eighties...). Nobody's perfect, like Hannah Montana says, and let's face it: people love you because you sit your butt in the writer's seat every day. Supermodels we ain't.

On that note, I should probably get my author photo redone...




2 comments:

  1. I have to admit I have been shocked more than once on seeing someone in person. Either years had passed or they needed a traveling makeup artist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Half the time you can't recognize the people from their author pics.

    And I would love to have a traveling stylist and makeup artist...

    ReplyDelete

April 2022 News (or: on reading slumps and lots of editing...)

  April snuck up on me like a thief in the night! I’ve been so busy writing, editing, and coming up with ideas for  Daybreak on Raven Island...