Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Back From Bouchercon

I'm back from Bouchercon! It was fun. And with 1200+ attendees, I still managed to miss some people. It's strange but true.

Opening ceremonies were at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame--this picture is of me, being the tourist out in front.

The museum was amazing; I played hooky for much of the ceremony (apologies to the organizers...) to roam around. I highly recommend the place, if you find yourself in Cleveland.

Then on Friday morning at 7:30 a.m. (yes, really), I was on a new author panel with a bunch of fellow newbies and Val McDermid. She was funny, we were nervous, and despite the early hour, a few hundred people showed up. So success, I say.

I'm pretty sure us attendees took over the city, because there were parties in just about every bar... Good times. I had a chance to meet fellow Harper authors, listen to some noir readings at the bar, and hear author Heather Graham rock it on stage.

The highlight of my trip? Going to the Cleveland Library--isn't it gorgeous? It's even more amazing inside.

And I was able to meet Annisha Jeffries, Children's Librarian Extraordinaire, also Princess Leia for Star Wars Reads Day. It's a great library--visit if you're there. You won't be disappointed.

Of course I came back with a suitcase full of books, which was the best souvenir ever. And I also took home a little crush on Cleveland. It's a cool city.

4 comments:

  1. The only "con" we have in India are the ones perpetrated by our politicians. But writing workshops, literary festivals and book readings are held more frequently nowadays, though nothing on the scale of Bouchercon or Comic-Con. I'm glad you had a good time. Nothing like a suitcase full of books as a parting gift to oneself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was good, Prashant. Though I think I prefer the smaller events--if nothing else, it's easier to find people :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had fun. Have only been to Cleveland once but the Hall of Fame should have been in Detroit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree! Actually, I was thinking they should bring Motown back to Detroit, too...

    ReplyDelete

April 2022 News (or: on reading slumps and lots of editing...)

  April snuck up on me like a thief in the night! I’ve been so busy writing, editing, and coming up with ideas for  Daybreak on Raven Island...