Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Pondering summer fever and books

I'm Fleur, and I have summer fever. Don't tell anyone...

I'm well (most well, really) past the age of going to school, yet at this time of year, I feel like a distracted sixth-grader. I'm ready for summer fun: running through the sprinklers, being lazy for no reason, eating ice cream--it happens every year around this time. Just like in August, when I feel like buying new notebooks and pencils. Odd, no?

I'm also looking forward to lots and lots of summer reading. And I'm hoping you'll give me some recommendations.

What's the best book you've read lately?


6 comments:

  1. Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn has stuck with me since last year. She's written a couple others. Dark Places lives up to its name. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern is still kicking around in my brain since year before last.

    The Magicians and The Magician King by Lev Grossman were fun. Think Hogwarts on crack. I also enjoyed Discovery of Witches and Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness. She's a history professor so the details are quite rich.

    And for really light reading, the Bibliophile Mysteries by Kate Carlisle are great. As are The Spellman Files books by Lisa Lutz.

    That should get you started. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a lot... :-) Thanks! Really want to spend a few afternoons just reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Out next month-BURIAL RITES. Set in 1825 Iceland about a woman waiting to be executed. A novel based on a true story. It is quite amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds fascinating--thanks for the tip, Patti.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am currently reading THE HOUSE OF MIRTH by Edith Wharton and it's definitely the best book so far this year. A superb piece of writing and characterisation. I plan to read at least two classics every month, hopefully two each by the same author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's going on my list--thanks, Prashant!

    ReplyDelete

April 2022 News (or: on reading slumps and lots of editing...)

  April snuck up on me like a thief in the night! I’ve been so busy writing, editing, and coming up with ideas for  Daybreak on Raven Island...