Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Have you ever read a book in one sitting?

Confession time: if a book gets too much buzz, I probably won't read it. The more it shows up on 'best of (fill in the year)' lists, the smaller the odds that the book will make my TBR pile. I guess it's my rebellious side talking. Once a book--or anything really--starts to feel like a bandwagon is waiting for me to get on, I'm out. Bandwagons are crowded, and someone always ends up elbowing you in the ribs.

But.

There was such a book last year: Wonder, a middle-grade that was on everyone's list. If it buzzed any more, it would've been a swarm of bees :-) So I avoided it...

But then two different librarians recommended it to me with such heartfelt excitement, I couldn't not read it. Because those librarians know their business, we all know this. So I picked up Wonder, and started reading it. And I finished it in one sitting.

I don't remember the last time I did that... And it wasn't like it was the perfect book--there were things I liked and didn't like, which is pretty normal--but it had me hooked. I felt a little like I was a kid again, reading the latest book waaaay past my bedtime.

Do you ever read books in one sitting? Have you ever? What was the book?


7 comments:

  1. For each of the last three Harry Potter books (talk about band wagons), I bought the book at the midnight release and finished within 24 hours. Not quite straight through. I did nap and eat, but pretty dang close.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, get put off by books that are hyped up. Chances are I won't read them. I used to read books in one sitting in my school and college days, finishing as many as four books a week. Now I have ASD! I still read war, western and espionage novels relatively fast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's somehow better, I think to read them in one go. Harder when you're an adult though, unless you set aside a specific day :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My son was nuts about Wonder and my agent wants me to read it. You've now pushed me over the edge. I'm diving in :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well worth it, Victoria. A great character study for us writers...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not since I was a kid and then I did it all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As an adult, it's harder to put up with the sleep deprivation...

    ReplyDelete

April 2022 News (or: on reading slumps and lots of editing...)

  April snuck up on me like a thief in the night! I’ve been so busy writing, editing, and coming up with ideas for  Daybreak on Raven Island...