Thursday, February 9, 2012

That F.T., She's Going Places

I'm following An Idiot Abroad on the Science Channel, and was a little horrified to recognize myself in Karl. A lot.

Just in case you haven't seen it: Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant send Karl Pilkington around the world to live out other people's bucket list wishes--with a twist. Instead of swimming with dolphins, Karl gets to be with sharks. You get the idea.

But you can tell that Karl doesn't really want to do any of those things. He'd rather stay home, watch some telly or whatever.

I'm that way. I'd rather hang at home, wearing stretchy pants (let's not call them sweatpants, okay?), watching something entertaining. Preferably while consuming food someone else cooked, and involves cheese and/or bacon.

But you have to leave your comfort zone, even if you're something of a Karl, like me. And especially if you have a book coming out that everyone must know about. So I signed up for various conferences. Like Springmingle this month, Thrillerfest in July, and Bouchercon in October--and that's just the beginning. I'll be the idiot abroad now. And I promise I'll wear pants that don't qualify as stretchy.

Are you pushing your comfort zone this 2012? I want to know I'm not alone...

2 comments:

  1. Finally finishing and putting MMG out into the world? Yeah, that's going to move me way outside the comfort zone. But it's long overdue.

    Oh, call them yoga pants. Then you'll be all the rage. You're gonna knock 'em dead no matter what you're wearing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers, Deb. Yoga pants--I like that :-)

    Looking forward to seeing MMG fly...!

    ReplyDelete

April 2022 News (or: on reading slumps and lots of editing...)

  April snuck up on me like a thief in the night! I’ve been so busy writing, editing, and coming up with ideas for  Daybreak on Raven Island...