Thursday, September 24, 2009

Book List

To start of my list of bonafide YA mysteries, I’m mining my recollection of books I’ve already read. Since my memory is what it is, this list will expand as I remember.

Here it goes:

YA Mysteries (books where the protagonist solves a crime as the main plot):

Acceleration by Graham McNamee (5)
I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak (5)
Rat Life by Tedd Arnold (5)
Torn to Pieces by Margot McDonnell (3)

YA Crime Fiction (there was a crime, but the protag(s) didn’t solve it):

Bog Child by Siobhan Dowd (5)
Echo by Kate Morgenroth (4)
Hit and Run by Lurlene McDaniel (3)
What Happened to Cass McBride? by Gail Giles (5)

I’ll look at posting this list as a sidebar, and keeping it updated as I read and have stuff to add. The numbers are a rating system 1-5, like Amazon, since that seemed like an easy way to go.

Of course, those are my ratings, which you’re free to ignore. Or argue with. I welcome arguments (but don't tell my kids I said that)

3 comments:

  1. So (as I prove that some questions are stupid), is 5 the best or is 1? Even I can figure out that 3 is about mid-way between those two ends...

    ReplyDelete
  2. 5 is best--like the 5 stars. So having a 1 makes a book very much NOT number 1 :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The ten-book YA mystery series Body of Evidence http://christophergolden.com/bodyofevidence.html co-written by Christopher Golden and Rick Hautala is FANTASTIC. I recommend it to teens and adults all of the time.

    Golden has written many thrillers and horror novels, many of which have supernatural elements. The BoE series is wholly realistic. The protagonist is a college freshman who wanted to be a doctor like her mom, but, because she can't deal with the sight of blood, starts working in forensics. Wonderful characters, especially the main girl, Jenna Blake.

    ReplyDelete

April 2022 News (or: on reading slumps and lots of editing...)

  April snuck up on me like a thief in the night! I’ve been so busy writing, editing, and coming up with ideas for  Daybreak on Raven Island...