Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Don't Forget The Fun


There’s something about teaching that’s incredibly rewarding. I’m teaching a workshop for From the Heart Romance Writers (the online chapter of RWA) right now, called Writing for Teens. The people who signed up are enthusiastic, smart, and their concepts are really blowing me away. Some great YA and MG writers come down the pipeline--watch out people..

I’m even learning new stuff, which is always a nice byproduct of teaching. Students point out newsworthy stuff I didn’t know, and by teaching, I’m reminded of the things I already knew but kind of forgot.

Like that being a writer is the best job ever, even when the pay isn’t that great. It's fun. I just started writing the first draft of a middle-grade manuscript that’s a blast to dive into. It practically writes itself. After spending a long time editing, and writing only freelance for the pesos, it’s just like a little vacation to write fiction.

Fun. It’s why we show up at the computer. Almost forgot about that; it’s good to be reminded sometimes.

3 comments:

  1. Fun! That's what I've been forgetting to bring to the writing room. Maybe that's why I'm having so much trouble with my rewrites.

    Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some days it's fun and other days, here I am.

    ReplyDelete

April 2022 News (or: on reading slumps and lots of editing...)

  April snuck up on me like a thief in the night! I’ve been so busy writing, editing, and coming up with ideas for  Daybreak on Raven Island...