Thursday, January 14, 2010

Thursday Links

Thursday is for YA links, and I have lots this week:

First off: musician Wyclef Jean (among many others) is calling for everyone to donate to help the Yele Haiti Earthquake Fund. So if you want to help, go here. I’m sure I’m not the only one whose heart is breaking over this disaster.

Onward to BlackBook, which discusses if social media is stunting (and prematurely aging) today’s kids. Interesting viewpoints (the article lists several other discussions); I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

Because I like this stuff: Tess Gerritsen on how e-readers will democratize publishing. And GalleyCat’s Jason Boog shows us some of the e-readers from the CES show.

And on this same techno future-of-publishing topic: here’s teen blogger (and reluctant reader) Chelsea Swigget’s opinion on digital reading at YPulse. Interesting stuff, I thought.

Teenreads.com has some new releases in YA—and they’re all YA mysteries! I know, it’s exciting. More for the TBR pile, but it’s January, so I’m feeling okay about that.

Readergirlz has Elizabeth Scott as author-in-residence until April. Will be interested to find out more about her, after reading Living Dead Girl, my darkest read of 2009.

For you aspiring teen writers: check out Scholastic’s Write It site, where you can workshop your writing from the looks of it. First I saw it, will be interested to see how it works for students.

And for you YA writers: Mary Kole, blogger at Kidlit.com and assistant agent at Andrea Brown (not in that order, I’m sure) will have a tweetchat tonight at 6 PT where you can ask her questions. It’s like a free conference panel you can attend in your pajama pants—very cool. More info here.

Alice from CWIM talks to Editor Andrew Karre about his first year at Carolrhoda Books, and what coming up to add to our list of books to read.

Louis Sachar, author of Holes and other great books, will give us a new read in May called The Cardturner. Hurrah!

The VitaminWater people decided Facebook has a flavor.

And for some fun: this is what a Swiss cop does when you’re rich and you speed. I guess that neutrality ends when you break the law.

No comments:

Post a Comment

April 2022 News (or: on reading slumps and lots of editing...)

  April snuck up on me like a thief in the night! I’ve been so busy writing, editing, and coming up with ideas for  Daybreak on Raven Island...