Thursday, October 20, 2011

On National Day on Writing, Tweeting, And Why I Write

Imagine a really, really busy airport (London's Heathrow comes to mind, but I'm sure you have your own visual there). People are buzzing around, trying to get to where they need to be. You catch bits and bites of conversations, but nobody was talking to you, right? So you just listen. You're entertained as you overhear stuff while you wait for your next flight.

That's how I looked at Twitter for the longest time: a busy airport. Tons of noise, but not a lot of talking.

At least, that's how it seemed to me at first. But then you get on the plane, and you actually get to know the person next to you. The person tells you about their favorite books, food, family, the dog, whatever. You get to know someone a little, someone you otherwise would've just passed by on your way to bagage claim.

It's pretty cool.

Here's why I'm talking Twitter: I caught this cool article in the NY Times on National Day on Writing--and it's today! The article suggests you Tweet about why you write, so I did.

Neat stuff. Join me, all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

April 2022 News (or: on reading slumps and lots of editing...)

  April snuck up on me like a thief in the night! I’ve been so busy writing, editing, and coming up with ideas for  Daybreak on Raven Island...