Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Getting Lost, Or The Book Hangover

Along with the rest of America, it seems, I got the latest Stephen King novel for Christmas. I asked for it, honestly--my bleary-eyed librarian recommended it, claiming she was going to bed at seven just so she could get back to the story. Since I take librarian recommendations most seriously, I put 11/22/63 on the Santa list.

Confession time: I'm not such a fan of Stephen King's novel-length work. Love the short stories he pens, but found that when it came to those novels, I was skimming the blah blah. No offense, Mr. King.

So when I saw that this book had 849 pages, I groaned internally. That's, like, three-to-four novels in kid lit. This had better be good.

And it was. I was proven wrong, and found myself bleary-eyed, disappearing with my fat book for hours, avoiding chores (not that I needed help there), pushing my bedtime.

I finished the book. It was good, not that it needs my endorsement. But now I have the dreaded book hangover--that feeling where you don't quite know what to do with yourself now that the story is over.

How 'bout you, YA Sleutheri? Ever have a book hangover? What was the book, and what did you do to get over it?

4 comments:

  1. 11/22/63 has given me a book hangover too. I'm kinda getting over it via Good Omens by Gaiman and Pratchett (quite amusing) but I *really* liked the new King book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was impressed too--truly a master (or King? :-) at work. Kind of a love story, if you really think about it.

    I'll have to get into Gaiman's stuff. You guys are always talking about it, but I've never given his work an honest try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes. Often in fact. I had one after reading Memory by Donald Westlake a few weeks ago. It is rare for me to read a book quickly but this one I couldn't put down. Picking up anything else seemed bound to lead to a let down. And it did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You almost need to detox with magazines or TV...

    ReplyDelete

April 2022 News (or: on reading slumps and lots of editing...)

  April snuck up on me like a thief in the night! I’ve been so busy writing, editing, and coming up with ideas for  Daybreak on Raven Island...