Thursday, February 21, 2013

How to be a good reader

As a newbie author, you learn a few things along the way.

Okay, so you learn a lot of things. Like how fun it is to meet new readers at a book signing. How you have to introduce yourself to Barnes and Noble customers, because no one will find you if you stay at your table, hidden behind the Nook display. How perfect strangers, in person or just on Twitter, can be so supportive of you and your book, even though they barely know you. People can be pretty awesome.

The hard part about being a debut is asking for that awesomeness. Asking people for help, that is. To come see you at a book signing, so you don't look so sad. And to review your book if they like it. Having my own book to sell made me realize that I haven't always been such a good reader. Because as an author, you're a reader first, and I've read a boatload of books. But how many have I actually reviewed at various outlets? Not many...

So this year, I'm resolving to be a better reader (a very, very late 2013 resolution, I know). This was inspired by author friend Simon Wood, who wrote a great blog post: 5 Things A Reader Can Do To Help Their Favorite Writers. Check it out, it's good stuff.

And thank you, awesome readers who've supported me so far. You inspire me to be a better reader myself.




2 comments:

  1. A very fine post, Fleur. I think blogging and visiting other blogs has made me a better reader than before. Now I not only enjoy reading books but I also like to show off the ones I do, by reviewing them on my blog and taking others by surprise (that rarely happens, of course!). Talk of competitive spirit! Thanks for the link to Simon Wood's post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, Prashant! I always enjoy your blog posts--they're very refreshing, I think.

    ReplyDelete

April 2022 News (or: on reading slumps and lots of editing...)

  April snuck up on me like a thief in the night! I’ve been so busy writing, editing, and coming up with ideas for  Daybreak on Raven Island...