Thursday, August 8, 2013

Tween movie review: Percy Jackson: Sea Of Monsters

Is there anything better than catching a matinee movie on a Wednesday afternoon? I felt like I was playing hooky, but I went to give you a review, honest.

Here's the official synopsis:

Percy Jackson has had an unnervingly quiet school year. But then he discovers that the magical borders protecting Half Blood Hill are failing. Unless something is done, the camp will be attacked by demons and monsters.

The only way to restore power to the camp's borders and to save their home is to find the mythical Golden Fleece. And the only who can undertake this dangerous quest are Percy and his friends. 

Embarking on a treacherous odyssey into the uncharted waters of the Sea of Monsters (known to humans as the Bermuda Triangle), they battle terrifying creatures, an army of zombies, and the ultimate Evil.



My thoughts:

 I wish I had taken the time to re-read the book, so I could do a comparison for the avid Percy fans... But as a movie, I thought this was great. Classic quest story with plenty of excitement, special effects, and walls of water (it is Percy Jackson, after all). There was a nice character arc with Percy finding his confidence, and a sweet half-brother cyclops story that had me and the tween girls fogging up. The story was family-friendly and okay for the younger ones, but exciting enough for older kids too. Go see it.

One thing notably different from the first movie was how 'clean' this movie was: though the first one definitely inched into YA territory, this second movie was far more family-friendly. It did make me do a double-take when it came to the actors' age (clearly at least teens, some older), but in such a non-YA story. Be interesting to see if anyone else picks up on this...

Here's the trailer:


 

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read this series or seen the films but I've heard a lot about them. I think I'm going to watch the films before I read the books. This one has all the elements that I usually look for in a fantasy adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was impressed (from a writer's perspective) how strong the story structure was as far as plot and character arc. And the kids loved it, which is the ultimate test, of course.

    ReplyDelete

April 2022 News (or: on reading slumps and lots of editing...)

  April snuck up on me like a thief in the night! I’ve been so busy writing, editing, and coming up with ideas for  Daybreak on Raven Island...