Monday, September 30, 2013

MMGM review: Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library by Chris Grabenstein

From the publisher:

Kyle Keeley is the class clown, popular with most kids, (if not the teachers), and an ardent fan of all games: board games, word games, and particularly video games. His hero, Luigi Lemoncello, the most notorious and creative gamemaker in the world, just so happens to be the genius behind the building of the new town library.

Lucky Kyle wins a coveted spot to be one of the first 12 kids in the library for an overnight of fun, food, and lots and lots of games. But when morning comes, the doors remain locked. Kyle and the other winners must solve every clue and every secret puzzle to find the hidden escape route. And the stakes are very high.

My thoughts:

I was a bit worried this was one of those children's books written to please the librarians, but I was oh-so wrong. This book was fun, appealing to both boys and girls, which isn't easy to pull off. It manages to weave a fast-paced story with little book and library references--fun for adults as well as kids. 

I wanted to be part of this library lock-in so much, and I think kids and adults alike will feel the same way. Chris Grabenstein hit it out of the park with Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library


Where I found out about this book: 

I'm a huge Chris Grabenstein fan, so there was no way I would've missed this one.

For more MMGM reviews, go to Shannon Messenger's blog....!

2 comments:

  1. Okay...this one is a for sure read and get for the library! Thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's one of those books I imagine will be in every school and library. Quite an accomplishment...
    Thanks for stopping by, Deb!

    ReplyDelete

April 2022 News (or: on reading slumps and lots of editing...)

  April snuck up on me like a thief in the night! I’ve been so busy writing, editing, and coming up with ideas for  Daybreak on Raven Island...