Monday, January 7, 2013

Are You Influenced By Other Writers?

I heard this song a few weeks ago, by Gary Clark Jr. It's pretty good, but I instantly recognized several of his influences: Lenny Kravitz, Jimmy Hendrix, to name but a few. It's so obvious, I'm sure Mr. Clark is aware.

Which made me think of writers, and my own writing. Am I influenced, like this guy, by others whose craft I admire?

Dunno...

How about you, fellow writers? Have others ever told you that your writing is like someone else's?


 

2 comments:

  1. I am influenced stylistically by anyone I am reading. My writing professor said I would outgrow this but I never have. It is really a problem when I read too many short stories by too many writers. One day I sound like Raymond Carver, the next like someone else. I have to reread my own stories diligently too weed this out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see it in my earlier short stories: I can tell when I was reading Elmore Leonard, Stephen King, etc. :-) Not so much anymore, thankfully. Maybe it helps that I write novel-length, don't know.

    ReplyDelete

April 2022 News (or: on reading slumps and lots of editing...)

  April snuck up on me like a thief in the night! I’ve been so busy writing, editing, and coming up with ideas for  Daybreak on Raven Island...